Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Resume

I was in Savannah yesterday to give the keynote
presentation at the annual National Resume Writers'
Association Conference. Some of you know me as the
Anti-Resume Man because I chide people for using a
resume as a crutch. So, why am I talking to 150
professional resume writers?

Because this is a smart group, and many of them
recognize that their product is becoming a commodity.
I was heartened by the interest many have in helping
people communicate their value; not just their
credentials. I also realize that these folks stand at
the perfect position to help job hunters get beyond
the conventional resume by using a blasphemous resume.
I wanted to influence them, and I think I did.

One of the key things we talked about at this meeting
is what a resume is really for. Is it your marketing
piece? Is its purpose "not to get you a job but to get
you an interview?" I suggested that both those views
of resumes are cop-outs.

I suggested that my resume should not be about me. It
should be about the company I want to work for -- and
it should specifically show how I'm going to help it
become more successful and profitable. Some resume
writers "get it."

Not everyone feels comfortable writing their own
resume (though you should try -- the pain and agony of
understanding your own value will pay off). If you're
going to hire a resume writer, make sure they're
qualified. (The NRWA certifies its members, and you
ought to review its Code of Ethics before you pay
anyone, anywhere to write a resume for you.) And make
sure they get it.

What does your resume do for you? Or, should I ask,
what does it do for the manager you want to work for?